Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list

Mexico president welcomes being left off Trump's new tariffs list

Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum says her government has a 'good relationship' with the administration of US President Donald Trump
Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum says her government has a 'good relationship' with the administration of US President Donald Trump. Photo: Alfredo ESTRELLA / AFP
Source: AFP

President Claudia Sheinbaum of Mexico, the United States' top trading partner, on Thursday welcomed her country's exclusion from the list of nations targeted in Donald Trump's latest round of import tariffs.

Sheinbaum told reporters Mexico was spared thanks to her government's "good relationship" with the US administration.

Mexico's economy is considered one of the most vulnerable to Trump's tariffs due to its close trade relations with the United States and their joint membership of the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) on free trade.

More than 80 percent of Mexican exports go to the United States, including some three million vehicles a year.

The Latin American nation is home to many foreign-owned vehicle assembly plants operated by companies including Ford, General Motors, BMW, Volkswagen and Toyota.

Trump has slapped a 25 percent import tariff on foreign-made cars and light trucks, effective from Thursday, though with some exceptions for USMCA-covered vehicles and parts.

Read also

Lesotho hardest hit as new US tariffs rattle Africa

The move prompted multi-national car company Stellantis, which has plants in the Mexican cities of Toluca and Saltillo, to announce Thursday it was pausing production in Mexico, where it makes Dodge cars and RAM trucks.

The company has similarly announced it will shutter its Chrysler factory in the Canadian city of Windsor.

'Major achievement'

Mexico's Economy Secretary Marcelo Ebrard said Thursday the USMCA remained intact, which he described as a "major achievement."

He said Mexico would, in the next 40 days, seek "the best conditions" for bilateral trade in automobiles, steel and aluminum.

Trump had previously threatened Mexico and Canada with a general 25 percent tariff on all goods, accusing its neighbors of allowing trafficked drugs and undocumented migrants into the United States.

Most have been suspended, but tariffs on Mexican goods not covered by the USMCA have entered into force.

About 50 percent of Mexican exports fall under the trade agreement, according to analysts' estimates -- coverage Sheinbaum wants to expand to all.

Read also

Stellantis pausing some Canada, Mexico production over Trump auto tariffs

Her government is expected to present a "comprehensive" strategy soon as part of its so-called "Mexico Plan" to boost the economy in the face of Washington's tariff onslaught.

PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!

Source: AFP

Authors:
AFP avatar

AFP AFP text, photo, graphic, audio or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. AFP news material may not be stored in whole or in part in a computer or otherwise except for personal and non-commercial use. AFP will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in any AFP news material or in transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages whatsoever. As a newswire service, AFP does not obtain releases from subjects, individuals, groups or entities contained in its photographs, videos, graphics or quoted in its texts. Further, no clearance is obtained from the owners of any trademarks or copyrighted materials whose marks and materials are included in AFP material. Therefore you will be solely responsible for obtaining any and all necessary releases from whatever individuals and/or entities necessary for any uses of AFP material.