Europe riled, but plans cool-headed response to Trump's tariffs

Europe riled, but plans cool-headed response to Trump's tariffs

Europe is looking to give a measured response to Trump's tariffs
Europe is looking to give a measured response to Trump's tariffs. Photo: Sergei GAPON / AFP/File
Source: AFP

European politicians and a German industry group criticised US tariffs announced by President Donald Trump on Wednesday, but said they were aiming for a cool-headed response.

London said that it hoped an economic deal it is trying to strike with the United States will eventually "mitigate" the impact of the 10-percent tariff Trump was imposing on the UK.

Any action by the European Union -- which is targeted with a 20-percent tariff rate -- "should be proportionate, aimed at defending the interests of our businesses, workers and citizens," said Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin.

EU chief Ursula von der Leyen was expected to give a reaction on behalf of the European Commission -- which handles trade issues for all 27 countries in the European Union -- around 0300 GMT on Thursday, during a visit she was making to Uzbekistan.

Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni on Wednesday called the new US tariffs on the EU "wrong".

Read also

Trump sparks trade war with sweeping global tariffs

She said the bloc will do all it can "to work for a deal with the United States, aiming to prevent a trade war that would inevitably weaken the West in favour of other global actors".

Meloni's foreign minister, Antonio Tajani, wrote on X that he would meet with EU trade chief Maros Sefcovic in Brussels on Thursday, and the response must be "based on a pragmatic approach, based on dialogue".

US warns: don't retaliate

The German chemicals industry called for the EU to "keep a cool head," warning that "a spiral of escalation would only increase the damage".

The Association of the German Chemical Industry said Germany -- an export powerhouse that relies on the US market -- "must not become a pawn in an escalating trade war".

The French government said, just before Trump unveiled his list of tariffs that are being applied, that there would be a sector-by-sector study before the EU announces its response "before the end of April".

Read also

Trump puts world on edge as 'Liberation Day' tariffs loom

Von der Leyen said on Tuesday that, while Brussels prefers to find a negotiated solution, "if need be, we will protect our interests, our people and our companies".

The EU has already been hit by several US tariff announcements since Trump returned to office in January, including a 25-percent levy on auto imports which came into force last week.

The bloc's producers were also affected by a 25-percent US tariff on steel and aluminium from around the world -- to which Brussels has already promised countermeasures to begin in mid-April.

Britain, which is no longer part of the EU, intends to "remain calm" and work on sealing a UK-US economic deal, business minister Jonathan Reynolds said after the tariffs were announced.

He added, though, that "nothing is off the table," stating: "We have a range of tools at our disposal and we will not hesitate to act."

Following Trump's unveiling of his tariffs on trading partners around the world, US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent warned: "My advice to every country right now is, do not retaliate."

Read also

Facing US tariffs, Canadians hunt for business in Europe

Speaking to Fox News, he advised the impacted countries and territories to "sit back, take it in.... Because if you retaliate, there will be escalation".

PAY ATTENTION: Сheck out news that is picked exactly for YOU ➡️ find the “Recommended for you” block on the home page and enjoy!

Source: AFP

Authors:
AFP avatar

AFP AFP text, photo, graphic, audio or video material shall not be published, broadcast, rewritten for broadcast or publication or redistributed directly or indirectly in any medium. AFP news material may not be stored in whole or in part in a computer or otherwise except for personal and non-commercial use. AFP will not be held liable for any delays, inaccuracies, errors or omissions in any AFP news material or in transmission or delivery of all or any part thereof or for any damages whatsoever. As a newswire service, AFP does not obtain releases from subjects, individuals, groups or entities contained in its photographs, videos, graphics or quoted in its texts. Further, no clearance is obtained from the owners of any trademarks or copyrighted materials whose marks and materials are included in AFP material. Therefore you will be solely responsible for obtaining any and all necessary releases from whatever individuals and/or entities necessary for any uses of AFP material.